Two more members join charter
The Steel Construction Sustainability Charter has recently added two more BCSA members to its list, bringing the total number of companies to have been successfully audited to 13.
After being successfully audited, Caunton Engineering was awarded Silver status and Metsec Gold status.
As part of the audit process companies are awarded points, and must score more than six points from a maximum 12. Their points tally then gains them Charter Status in three levels: Gold, Silver and Member.
The current Charter list comprises: Barrett Steel Buildings, Gold; Billington Structures, Gold; International Paint, Gold; Metsec, Gold; Cairnhill Structures, Silver; Caunton Engineering, Silver; Conder Structures, Silver; Elland Steel Structures, Silver; Fairfield-Mabey, Silver; Rowecord Engineering, Silver; ACL Structures, Member; Fisher Engineering, Member; and Graham Wood Structural, Member.
The BCSA requires that Sustainability Charter Members should make a formal declaration that consists of the following eight points:
- Operate their businesses in efficient and financially sustainable ways in order to undertake contracts that satisfy clients and add value for stakeholders
- Work to optimise the impact of manufacturing and construction activities on the eco-efficiency of steel construction through its life cycle
- Work towards increasing the efficiency of use of resources and energy in steel construction by promoting the recovery, reuse and recycling of steel
- Foster the health and safety of employees and others in the steel construction industry, and operate generally in a healthy, safe and environmentally sound manner
- Demonstrate its social responsibility by promoting values and initiatives that show respect for people and communities associated with steel construction
- Conduct business with high ethical standards in dealings with employees, clients, suppliers and the community
- Engage stakeholders and independent third parties in constructive dialogue to help implement sustainable development
- Build on their knowledge of sustainability and willingly share this with others, by being open and active in communications and by helping steel and construction companies and other organisations in the supply chain to implement sustainable policies