50 & 20 Years Ago
40 Years Ago: Lanchester College of Technology
Taken from Building with Steel, 1965
The Lanchester College of Technology, Coventry, named after the famous local engineer and motor car designer, has considerably grown and broadened its horizons since 1958, following the increased national emphasis on advanced technical education.
The last phase of the project, the Students Union and the Administration and Lecture Theatre block, has just been completed. The proximity of Coventry Cathedral influenced the design. It was felt that the buildings should be of a quiet and dignified expression, but at the same time truly representative of technology. The buildings are of steel-frame construction and an 80 in. module has been employed throughout, expressed as vertical steel joint mullions.