World Steel Association campaigns for steel houses
The World Steel Association (WSA) is running a campaign #lovesteel, which demonstrates how steel is the ideal material for aesthetically pleasing and sustainable residential buildings.
The campaign states that by using steel construction homes are more sustainable, affordable, safe and beautiful. In summary:
- Buildings made with steel last more than 100 years.
- Steel has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of all construction materials.
- New high strength steel building components require 25-50% less material.
- Steel is 100% recyclable – the global construction recovery rate is 85%.
According to the WSA, more than half of the steel produced worldwide goes into steel buildings and infrastructure. Nevertheless, about 1.6BN people live in inadequate housing around the world today and an estimated 100M are homeless.
As we live in a world where we must find new ways of doing more with less, we can solve these challenges with steel. Sustainable living needs steel. It’s strong, it’s versatile, it’s durable, it’s infinitely recyclable and it’s affordable.
The WSA says the top ten reasons for choosing steel are:
- Steel is never wasted
- Steel lasts for generations
- Steel is light, yet strong
- Steel saves energy
- Steel is climate proof
- Steel is quick and easy
- Steel means fewer worries
- Steel protects us and our homes
- Steel is creativity, applied
- Steel is beautiful