Design awards shortlist
The range and versatility of steel is demonstrated in the shortlist for the Structural Steel Design Awards, announced in January.
Chairman of the judging panel David Lazenby CBE said: “There is a good spread of entries ranging from domestic houses to town centre developments, and bridges from moveable pedestrian structures to main line railway crossings. The standard was remakably high.”
Mr Lazenby, who takes over as chairman from Professor Patrick Dowling, and RIBA representative Robin Booth are joined this year by four new panel members. They are Gerry Hayter of the Highways Agency; Joe Locke, recently retired from William Hare; Martin Manning, a director of Arup; and Christopher Nash, Managing Director of Nicholas Grimshaw.
The winners will be announced at the awards presentation lunch at London’s Savoy Hotel on 23 June.
Buildings of one or two storeys
- Tower Environs Building, Tower of London
- Tanaka Business School, South Kensington
- Centre of Engineering and Manufacturing Excellence, Dagenham
- Kingstown St. House, Regents Park, London
- Milestones of Flight, RAF Museum, Hendon
Buildings over 2 Storeys
- Plantation Place South, London
- Broadwick House, London
- Faculty of Law, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff
- The Wellcome Trust Gibbs Building, London
- Carlton House Studios, Southampton
- Midland Main Line Rail Bridge, Kings Cross / St Pancras, London
- Rolling Bridge, Paddington, London
- Cheadle Royal Bridge, Manchester
- Usk Crossing, Newport Southern Distributor Road
- Car Park Access Ramps, Croydon Centrale
- Extension to the Concast Facility, Port Talbot Steel Works